The Panama Posse was founded in May of 2017 at the Marina and Isla Navidad Resort in Barra de Navidad, MX.
15 cruising couples and a motor vessel hanging around the lush resort and pool had their hands up interested in heading south towards Panama. AIYA, RAVEN, BULA, LIQUID, XENIA, RESPITE, MAGIC, AVANT ( chimed in from Chiapas) , GEORGIA, CROSSROADS, SHEARWATER, DAD’S DREAM SANS FRONTIERES and EASY are just a few vessels who helped shape the camaraderie and voice of the Panama Posse.
Captain Dietmar and his wife Suzanne who had just returned from an 7 1/2 year excursion to the the South Pacific decided to organize their desire into what is now known as the PANAMA POSSE.
Later on Chris, Monica on SEA GLUB, Walt & Jeariene on Knot Right and Rob and Debra on Avant helped focus the activities and feedback to the Panama Posse Organization and with the help of many volunteers and participants season one grew to 83 vessels. Season two grew to 123 vessels and the Panama Posse created a partnership with over 15 supporting marinas and the 501(c)3 non-profit group GoodNautical. By 2020 The Panama Posse is expected to be representing 150 vessels from 15 flag states.
The Panama Posse operates under maritime law,
Captain Dietmar Petutschnig– is a life long proponent of the
gestalt theory for transferring nautical knowledge >>
provide experiences, mistakes and first hand account of others
and participants will arrive at their own conclusion to plan and
execute their own expeditions.
Panama Posse, Founder & Leader, Western Hemisphere 2017-20
• Founder and leader of a 200+ vessel fleet (sized 27’ – 225’) from15 flags states
• Two-season, 2,000 nautical mile journey between Mexico and Panama
• A proven explorer with both personal and business experience across 55 nations,
holds multi certifications including RYA Yachtmaster Ocean and US Coast Guard Captain licenses.
SV Carinthia, Captain & Owner, Pacific Ocean 2007 – Present
• Deep sea, open ocean and coastal expedition experience with over 30 marinas, worldwide
• Planned and executed an 11-year, 47,000 nautical mile voyage 7/12 years in the South Pacific
• Regular interaction with Maritime Servicers, Port Captains, Immigrations & Biosecurity officers
• Administrative experience in the USA, Mexico, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Samoa, Tonga, New Zealand, Fiji, New Caledonia, Vanuatu, American Samoa and Kiribati
Maritime Institute | USCG 100 ton Master’s License San Diego, CA 2013-14
Royal New Zealand Coast Guard | YachtMaster – Ocean 200t Auckland, New Zealand
NYU – SEC | Unix Webmaster New York, NY, 1995
BS Physics | Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria (dropped out) Valparaiso, Chile, 1986
• Oceania (NZ, FJ) | Maritime Communications, Celestial Navigation, Diesel Engine Maintenance, Satellite Chart Interpretation
• French Polynesia, Tuamotosm, Raiatea, Top Dive | Padi Open Water Diver
• North America (USA, MX) | Vessel Safety, Basic Keelboat, Performance Cruising, Inter Coastal Navigation, Radar & AIS, HAM Radio Technician, First Aid, Provisioning
• Asia (CN, JP) | eFellow at Wharton School, Shanghai, Entrepreneurship Certificate – EOU, Tokyo, Japan
Universal Skills: Weather routing & forecasting | Storm Preparation | Celestial navigation | Basic diesel engine maintenance | Sailing | Geography | Photography | HAM Radio | Satellite Image Analysis
International: Lived and worked around the world, and traveled to over 55 countries. Received education and certifications on four continents.
Languages: Fluency in English, German and Spanish. Conversational French, Italian and Portuguese